Akismet API server name.

Usage of Control Panel, global settings, how to install new gadgets and plugins, user permissions, policies, anti-spam.

Akismet API server name.

Postby efi » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:48 am

Hi.

Lately I have been spammed with poker, xxx, and so on. Since I got tired adding the hostile ip addresses manually to the blocking list, I decided to have a look at the httpbl and Akismet filters in Jaws. (I am using Jaws 0.8.6 but I guess that there haven't been any heavy changes in version 0.8.7.)

I discovered that httpbl support seems to be in development and therefore non-functional. The Akismet part seems to be much better. (I will probably be able to tell if it works correctly in a few days - when no new spam occurs.)

I only have a request for future versions: Until now the Akismet API server is hardcoded in the php file (rest.akismet.com). Since I don't want to spend money for an Ankismet key, I choose to use TypePad's free spam protection. They have a 100% Akismet-compatible API at api.antispam.typepad.com - It would be great if there was an option input field or a registry key to set this server as configuration and not directly in code.

Keep up the good work, greetings

Thomas Efer
(thomasefer.de)
efi

Re: Akismet API server name.

Postby jamesduffy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:28 pm

Great idea.. hopefully that can be updated in the settings gadget. I to have been having problems with spam, but i have used CAPTCHA, but it stops many people from posting.
jamesduffy

Postby afz » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:12 am

typepad separately will be available in 0.8.8
afz

Postby raulelenes » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:29 am

The typepad ACL registry input didn´t appear in jaws 0.8.9 only in 0.8.8
raulelenes

Postby afz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:40 am

Set spam filter to ΤypeΡad, and after first failed, this registry key will be created.
BTW, in jaws 0.8.12 it's created automatically.
afz

Return to Control Panel